Friday, August 22, 2008

Prompt: Define Goodness

What is goodness? Goodness gracious! Oh goodness! My goodness!

Goodness can be so many things. It can be the kindness in the soul of a stranger who holds a door open for you. It can be the pure innocence of a child who "tells it like it is" pointing out the obvious thing that an adult would never dare to utter outloud. It is the warmth of a strong hug from a friend or a loved one. It is the unselfishness of a spouse that never hesitates to offer the last piece of candy...

Goodness surrounds me. I see it in my children when they stop me from being critical about someone. I see it in my husband when he goes out to start my car in the dead of winter. I see it in my friends who support me unconditionally. It's easy to see it in the people you love.

But why can't I see it in EVERONE? We all must possess some type of goodness, right? How often I look at people and judge. So often I never take the time to seek out their goodness. Instead I start painting a negative image on a dark, dark canvas.

They say you should love and love unconditionally. You should love the unloveable. It's so easy to stay in your own little world of goodness and close it off with a neat little wall of self-righteousness. It's time to tear down the walls and start looking for the goodness on the other side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this. <3